Advice on head gear
Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brutus

Feb 10, 2016, 8:44 AM
Post #1 of 48 (9765 views)
Shortcut
Advice on head gear Can't Post

When I go skydiving I am currently using a Cookie G3, but sure this wont be the right helmet to begin in BASE, right?

I am also a ocasional speedflyer and paraglider. Do you think I can find an "all purpose" helmet for these activities besides skydiving?

I would really appreciate some help/own experience with helmets in BASE

Skez

Feb 10, 2016, 8:54 AM
Post #2 of 48 (9751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Brutus] Advice on head gear [In reply to] Can't Post

If u own a cookie g3 just keep skydiving with the rest of the fags...the full face g3 indicates this

MrHey

Feb 10, 2016, 8:57 AM
Post #3 of 48 (9746 views)
Shortcut

I have a lot more experience speedflying than base. But for both I have always worn a full face that is qualified for entry requirements for the downhill MTB events. They have to be up to good a good standard to be allowed in those events. I use a Bell Drop, because it was very cheap, and provides good certified protection and gives the best open field of view of the full faces i tried..
It did save my face speedflying once when i took a long tumble.
It is also stronger than a lot of the slightly lighter carbon fibre alternatives in tests. Not to mention you can pick up end of year models for nothing.

I don't think everyone needs to wear a helmet, to each their own, but i want to be wearing a good one when i fuck up.

I also wear full body armour when speedflying or base, but in the few big wall bases i have done i did not wear an armoured jacket as I found it fucked up my tracking a bit.

Disclaimer - I am a beginner in base.

(This post was edited by MrHey on Feb 10, 2016, 8:58 AM)

Heat

Feb 10, 2016, 9:01 AM
Post #4 of 48 (9743 views)
Shortcut

Get a real helmet that has impact/crash certification (ce/en, snell, astm and so on). Bike and ski helmets are your best options :)
Skydiving helmets are nothing more than fancy camera mounts and while they might make you look cool and your freefall more comfy, they offer no impact protection what so ever. They are nothing more than over priced shells with a liner...

Some good info on impact certification: http://www.xsportsprotective.com/pages/helmet-certification-guide

hookitt

Feb 10, 2016, 10:29 AM
Post #5 of 48 (9704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skez] Advice on head gear [In reply to] Can't Post

Skez wrote:
If u own a cookie g3 just keep skydiving with the rest of the fags...the full face g3 indicates this

What does this indicate? That made no sense.

What do you do with all the time you save by typing "u" instead of you?

wasatchrider

Feb 10, 2016, 10:59 AM
Post #6 of 48 (9688 views)
Shortcut

Skez wrote:

I have a g3

Shafty

Feb 10, 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #7 of 48 (9638 views)
Shortcut

I use a Fox MTB helmet and love it...its super light and comfortable and offers great protection. Most of the guys I jump with just wear a cheap protec helmet but personally I'll spend the extra to protect my melon

Brutus

Feb 10, 2016, 1:03 PM
Post #8 of 48 (9611 views)
Shortcut

Skez wrote:

Sad to read that. Judging a book by its cover is a typical behaviour of ignorant and bigheaded people.

I supposed BASE jumping, travelling and meeting very different people in BASE would make people widen their minds. Not your case

Mah_Dude

Feb 10, 2016, 1:06 PM
Post #9 of 48 (9609 views)
Shortcut

I use a POC. They are a bit pricey for the higher end but they have a good selection to chose from and the lower priced ones still offer great protection at a cheaper price.

SweetSpot

Feb 10, 2016, 1:23 PM
Post #10 of 48 (9592 views)
Shortcut

Check this one http://www.icaro2000.com/Products/Helmets/Cut3/Cut3.htm

It was designed for paragliding but it is an excellent option for BASE too. It is lightweight and unlike the G3 it provides real protection.

GreenMachine

Feb 10, 2016, 3:57 PM
Post #11 of 48 (9545 views)
Shortcut
TO: hookitt Re: Idiots [In reply to] Can't Post

They are Probably just waiting around to get smacked, Wink

wasatchrider

Feb 10, 2016, 4:09 PM
Post #12 of 48 (9538 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GreenMachine] TO: hookitt Re: Idiots [In reply to] Can't Post

y u b so crtcl

Skez

Feb 10, 2016, 10:45 PM
Post #13 of 48 (9465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hookitt] Advice on head gear [In reply to] Can't Post

hookitt wrote:
Skez wrote:

What does this indicate? That made no sense.

I was just being a tool lol....not to be taken seriously obviously...but cookie g3s are still gay as fuck regardless

yil7

Feb 10, 2016, 10:52 PM
Post #14 of 48 (9459 views)
Shortcut

he's lonely and just looking for attention.....his boyfriend probably dumped him for a skydiver who's wearing a g3

MBA-PATTO

Feb 10, 2016, 11:22 PM
Post #15 of 48 (9428 views)
Shortcut

Any cookie helmet is strictly there for a camera attachment it will not save your head on anything...

As heat has suggested grab your self something that WILL protect your head...

If your doing a lot of slider down stuff especially or if you are starting base with low skydive numbers then your canopy skills will be shithouse

Look after your head you only get one...

Enjoy the ride .. Hope you make it till the end Tongue

Dadsy

Feb 10, 2016, 11:32 PM
Post #16 of 48 (9417 views)
Shortcut

I wear a Triple Eight, impact rated, very good viability. The only problem is the visor doesn't lock in and on terminal jumps it flicks up on opening. I run a bit of velcro to fix that

(This post was edited by Dadsy on Feb 11, 2016, 4:50 PM)
Attachments: T8-Featured.jpg (21.4 KB)

Hajo

Feb 11, 2016, 2:40 AM
Post #17 of 48 (9369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dadsy] Advice on head gear [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to jump with a skater-helmet, but now I take my old Oxygn from SkySystems without the lens.

For me, it fits more tight around my head and I hope that a fullface made with carbonfiber will save me more if needed.
Also easy to close/open with one hand (sky-latch).

Dadsy

Feb 11, 2016, 3:06 AM
Post #18 of 48 (9351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hajo] Advice on head gear [In reply to] Can't Post

The Oxygn isn't impact rated so cant see it helping much

Skez

Feb 11, 2016, 3:26 AM
Post #19 of 48 (9346 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yil7] Advice on head gear [In reply to] Can't Post

yil7 wrote:
he's lonely and just looking for attention.....his boyfriend probably dumped him for a skydiver who's wearing a g3

Nope long story short is if you use a g3 for the purpose of head protection your stupid ...they are shit and yeh a camera holder thats about it...... anything like a skateboard helmet or something actually approved for impact is going to be better...thats what i use and there about $30....not 2million$ like the g3

GreenMachine

Feb 11, 2016, 5:01 AM
Post #20 of 48 (9313 views)
Shortcut

$30 Protec, skuff the finish with sandpaper,
then spray a light coat of flat black on it.
Benefits: light, cheap, stealth, and rated.

Attachments: Pro_Tec.png (224 KB)

seldomseen_mark

Feb 11, 2016, 5:34 AM
Post #21 of 48 (9292 views)
Shortcut

Sweet Helmets

The Rooster Discera RS?

lightweight, carbon fiber, MIPS, yada yada yada......

They're sweet

Brutus

Feb 11, 2016, 8:00 AM
Post #22 of 48 (9247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GreenMachine] Advice on head gear [In reply to] Can't Post

GreenMachine wrote:
$30 Protec, skuff the finish with sandpaper,
then spray a light coat of flat black on it.
Benefits: light, cheap, stealth, and rated.

I am currently using a snowboard helmet (open face) for paragliding and speedflying, but was thinking that maybe a full face helmet should offer more protection.

Ive seen quite cheap ones, but was concerned about losing peripheral vision. Any of you using a full face can talk about this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...p-2014/rp-prod113734

gharrop

Feb 11, 2016, 1:41 PM
Post #23 of 48 (9138 views)
Shortcut

I have the Comp 661. Peripheral view is excellent. Only direction it limits your view is directly downwards (seeing your handles on a skydive, for example), but for BASE or speedflying it's great.

JT8D

Feb 11, 2016, 4:24 PM
Post #24 of 48 (9093 views)
Shortcut

+1 for Fox full face mtb helmet. Good protection, comfy, lightish, excellent field of vision, great price... skydive helmets aren't gay... they are lame a.f! so expensive and no protection... but welcome to the cool jumpers club if you got one.

Skez

Feb 11, 2016, 9:47 PM
Post #25 of 48 (9041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JT8D] Advice on head gear [In reply to] Can't Post

i will stop shitstirring the full facers out there ok...but yep seriously the expensive skydive helmets arent even suitable for someone falling off a skateboard at a slow speed.....i was stupid once and bought a tonfly skydive helmet...still have it.. but for speedflying or base i use a cheap skateboard style helmet....im not biased just realsitic skydiving helmets obviously have no safety standards to pass etc (im guessing) and they just make anything...which is usually just a thin plastic shell with no impact foam or any cushioning effect for your brain....if they where tested for any standards like even required for legal bicycle use they would fail

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media