Toxic vs Snatch
Premier Sponsor:

Shafty

Feb 9, 2016, 1:33 PM
Post #1 of 23 (5897 views)
Shortcut
Toxic vs Snatch Can't Post

Hey guys.

Does anyone have experience with both the toxic and snatch PC? I'm looking to replace my 46 Asylum and was considering one of these options. I jump a Blackjack 310 in a Helium and typically in the 300ft range. I like the stability performance I have seen in the video of the snatch but was hoping someone could provide a direct comparison.

Thanks

roostnureye

Feb 9, 2016, 1:54 PM
Post #2 of 23 (5871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shafty] Toxic vs Snatch [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd keep the toxic for the low low.

CF36

Feb 9, 2016, 3:51 PM
Post #3 of 23 (5801 views)
Shortcut

I've heard some people say the snatch doesn't (ironically) have as much snatch force as the toxic at that same surface area in the low speed environments... and just wafting the pc's you can tell there is less drag at initial pull... I'd use a normal PC (toxic or just nonvented even) for a go and throw pc 46 and higher. A 46 used exclusively for go and throws is at such a low airspeed the wobble should be almost nil even with no vents... if the load tapes are even and it's not measured in Gerry units or pink and purple TongueSlyCrazy

idemallie
Feb 9, 2016, 4:04 PM
Post #4 of 23 (5775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CF36] Toxic vs Snatch [In reply to] Can't Post

CF36 wrote:
I've heard some people say the snatch doesn't (ironically) have as much snatch force as the toxic at that same surface area in the low speed environments...

Especially notable given the size of the canopy he is using (310)

Shafty

Feb 9, 2016, 4:11 PM
Post #5 of 23 (5769 views)
Shortcut
Re: [idemallie] Toxic vs Snatch [In reply to] Can't Post

I've now been contacted from several people regarding the snatches seemingly (lower) pull force at lower airspeeds compared to either a standard or toxic PC. Although I haven't yet seen one in person I like the design and what I have seen in regards to stability. That being said the toxic is also solid. I think being my huge canopy size and the lower jumps I typically do that I will grab a toxic. Thanks for all the input and to those that pm'd me

(This post was edited by Shafty on Feb 9, 2016, 4:14 PM)

msk

Feb 9, 2016, 9:10 PM
Post #6 of 23 (5689 views)
Shortcut

I've been jumping Toxic 46 for sub 300ft jumps for a year now and could not be happier. Compared to my old Aprex it is very predictable. The only off-putting thing with Toxic was the price tag and a 7 month waiting period + 5 follow-up emails to have it made and sent to me.

My brother bought a Snatch. I have only seen one jump he made on it and the jump went fine, but it was dark and I did not see what his PS was doing )))

What I did see was if snatch is thrown up in the air in a room, it turns to correct position and floats down perfectly centred. That's in a room with no weight i it! I found it pretty impressive.

We did a (admittedly non-scientific) side by side comparison test of standard Apex 42 with a round soft handle and a 42 Snatch with a similar handle setup. The test was basically throwing both PCs up in the air in a room in a "mushroom" configuration and observing how each floats back to the ground. Well, as predicted, APEX went down on its side just starting to turn to the right position before it hit the floor. The Snatch, however, turned and centred itself by half way between ceiling and floor.

These tests probably mean jack shit and prove nothing from scientific standpoint but in a sport where believing in your gear and making intimate friendship with your PS is part of confidence building process, this was enough for my brother to be convinced that he invested in the best PS.

CF36

Feb 10, 2016, 3:35 AM
Post #7 of 23 (5586 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msk] Toxic vs Snatch [In reply to] Can't Post

if you're worried about the wait times on the Toxic, you can get the Blacksheep copy faster probably...

jools

Feb 10, 2016, 6:40 AM
Post #8 of 23 (5528 views)
Shortcut

Got a 42" Toxic and 46" Snatch.
I also had a 38" Snatch which I sold as I preferred my Adrenalin 38" over the Snatch 38"

The theory behind the Snatch makes sense but I just don't think it actually translates to much in the real world.

Personally I would not buy another Snatch but love the Toxic.

Laters

Julian

(This post was edited by jools on Feb 10, 2016, 10:22 AM)

CF36

Feb 10, 2016, 7:07 AM
Post #9 of 23 (5512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jools] Toxic vs Snatch [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it makes a good terminal velocity PC, maybe even almost terminal... but I'm not really sold for subterminal.

jools

Feb 10, 2016, 8:54 AM
Post #10 of 23 (5446 views)
Shortcut

I have recently been informed there is a good stock of Toxics, in various colours & sizes, available to go and custom lead-time is 2-3 weeks at the moment.

Laters

Julian

Shafty

Feb 10, 2016, 9:41 AM
Post #11 of 23 (5421 views)
Shortcut

Awesome...thanks for the info

hookitt

Feb 10, 2016, 10:42 AM
Post #12 of 23 (5392 views)
Shortcut

CF36 wrote:
if you're worried about the wait times on the Toxic, you can get the Blacksheep copy faster probably...

FYI: The last time I stepped into the Asylum shop (only a few months ago) there were a bunch of stock Toxic pilot chutes already built and many in progress.

W_Heisenberg

Feb 10, 2016, 12:02 PM
Post #13 of 23 (5343 views)
Shortcut

CF36 wrote:

Knock off is a knock off

There's only ONE toxic PC.
Marty is the man!

jools

Feb 10, 2016, 1:17 PM
Post #14 of 23 (5290 views)
Shortcut

I am not saying the Snatch is a bad PC, just I prefer the Toxic. I think the Toxic is worth the additional cost Vs a "standard" PC, I just don't feel the same about a Snatch.
I still use my 46" Snatch sub 250ft without worrying (I have also used my Toxic 42" sub 250ft without worrying).

Just realized my Toxic is 8-9 years old with at least 200 jumps on it and it is still going strong.

(This post was edited by jools on Feb 10, 2016, 1:40 PM)

surfers98

Feb 10, 2016, 3:06 PM
Post #15 of 23 (5227 views)
Shortcut

A 42" sub-250' would be terrifying for me.

Heat

Feb 10, 2016, 3:16 PM
Post #16 of 23 (5222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [W_Heisenberg] Toxic vs Snatch [In reply to] Can't Post

He really should update that god awful website thoughCrazy

jtholmes

Feb 10, 2016, 11:12 PM
Post #17 of 23 (5104 views)
Shortcut

buy normal pilot chutes or find higher objects.

$175 pilot chutes are just silly

Shafty

Feb 15, 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #18 of 23 (4724 views)
Shortcut
Toxic vs Snatch [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I placed an order for a custom Toxic...I'm told it will be made and ready to ship end of next week. Also the service from Asylum has been great and he has replied to all my emails same day. Looking forward to testing it out

jools

Mar 7, 2016, 7:58 AM
Post #19 of 23 (4224 views)
Shortcut

Just got a 38"& 42" in custom colours delivered to the UK in less than 3 weeks.
Different vent design to my original, top quality sewing/manufacturing.
looking forward to trying them out soon.

Laters

Julian.

Shafty

Mar 8, 2016, 9:55 AM
Post #20 of 23 (3956 views)
Shortcut

Same here...I had my 3 custom toxics built and in my hands in less then 2 weeks...top quality service

SeanPm

Apr 8, 2017, 9:16 PM
Post #21 of 23 (1275 views)
Shortcut

you have a fucking telescope..... :DCool

jools

Apr 9, 2017, 4:45 PM
Post #22 of 23 (1113 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SeanPm] Toxic vs Snatch [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure do.
Attachments: IMG_5732.JPG (48.4 KB)

TransientCW

Apr 16, 2017, 4:40 PM
Post #23 of 23 (613 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jtholmes] Toxic vs Snatch [In reply to] Can't Post

I paid over 1,000$ for my ultra-custom toxic from Marty. It's lined with gold throughout the mesh, it has a diamond and platinum studded soft hat, low profile LED lighting around the apex for night jumps, and is made with a special blend of ZP, Egyptian cotton, Alpaka silk, and ultra light PN9

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Technical

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media