Forums: BASE Jumping: General BASE:
Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news?
Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news?
I was always planning on going to WV no matter what. 1 / 1%
I will still go to TF because I'm sticking with my decision, despite the optional fingerprints 69 / 78%
I was boycotting, but I'll go to WV now that fingerprints are optional 7 / 8%
I don't care the reason, I'm going wherever a majority of people on the forums say there going (here for the party) 5 / 6%
I'm still going to TF, but I'll consider WV if more "demands"are met (please comment with said "demands") 7 / 8%
89 total votes

DeerBone

Mar 19, 2015, 4:52 AM
Post #1 of 26 (12697 views)
Shortcut
Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? Can't Post

Just trying to get a better picture of what peoples thoughts are, see what other concerns some of you had. I for one would like to see BD back at NRG at some point and I'm glad that first steps are being made to make that happen. Having never been to BD, all I have to go off of is what I read on here, too me it sounds like theirs still going to be issues that need addressing, such as the attitude of the police and the magnitude of their involvement. Kudos Tree for falling on the grenade, realistically, someone had to do it at some point, I'm glad it was a jumper instead of some random local that "does a really swell job organizing the spaghetti dinners at the fire department". I wish you luck in turning the event back in a direction that makes jumpers feel welcome, it seems that removing the straw still leaves the camel with the broken back, it may take a little more from BDC to mend the relationship with some of the jumpers.

side note.... if i put a small pile of dirt on top of an "A", can i count it as my "E"?

madprops

Mar 19, 2015, 10:53 PM
Post #2 of 26 (12271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DeerBone] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

Fuck BD 2015! Twin is in!

I have never met Tree but from my very small view of him, he seems to stink. He might be a great guy though..... but I'm guessing not.

DeerBone

Mar 20, 2015, 7:03 AM
Post #3 of 26 (12073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [madprops] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never met him either, never had dealings with the man personal or otherwise. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one though, someone needs to deal with the BDC to get things sorted back out and no matter who stepped up it seems they would be shunned. I cant and wont speculate on his motives, I just hope his hearts in the rite place with it. I know I'de like to see some more given to the jumpers along the lines of time, a lot more time, like sunrise to sunset kind of time.... or even after dark for some night jumps. If I'm going to make a trip I'll be going to twin based on the time limit alone. cops already have my finger prints and if i register for BD and do the background check those fingerprints will immediately be associated with BASE... If i ever go to WV I'll use the finger scan because its cheaper and I don't have to do anything ahead of time, but I'm glad those of you who are fingerprint less can remain that way and I'll continue to support the BASE community with where i choose to jump.

StealthyB

Mar 20, 2015, 3:14 PM
Post #4 of 26 (11829 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DeerBone] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

DeerBone wrote:
I cant and wont speculate on his motives, I just hope his hearts in the rite place with it.

Good point, I mean it's not like he has a personal stake in this thing, is it? I don't know him, but at least he's not the guy running the Tandem concession there,.. is he?

??? Angelic

DeerBone

Mar 21, 2015, 3:30 AM
Post #5 of 26 (11666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [StealthyB] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

StealthyB wrote:
Good point, I mean it's not like he has a personal stake in this thing, is it? I don't know him, but at least he's not the guy running the Tandem concession there,.. is he???? Angelic

If he can make some money good for him, the last organizer was for profit, and I have no doubt that like Jason, If you figure out the hours they have into organizing Vs what they make off the event, it wont be anything to write home about. Rather than making $$$ off tandems, it will turn into a way to compensate for the behind the curtain work. Meanwhile, the cost to the jumpers is going down.

If tandem BASE is Trees motivation behind the scene, so be it. I hope this is reason enough for him to fight for legal year round jumping in NRG, and he continues to negotiate for fair treatment of jumpers. Whatever his motivation is, as long as it's helping the community as a whole and we keep seeing results, his reasons make no difference to me.

Again, I don't know Tree.... but I see a lot of negativity surrounding this whole event on the forums, I have no Idea what the future holds for NRG, I'm just trying to look on the bright side and put a "best case" positive spin on things. Maybe I put too much faith in people, But I'de rather hope for the best than assume the worst.

Fledgling

Mar 21, 2015, 5:22 AM
Post #6 of 26 (11637 views)
Shortcut

DeerBone wrote:
If he can make some money good for him, the last organizer was for profit,
The last organizer quit on principal regardless of profit. The new organizer weaseled in behind the scenes regardless of principals.
For what it's worth I never personally got along with Jason either but at least I could respect him.

DeerBone wrote:
If tandem BASE is Trees motivation behind the scene, so be it. I hope this is reason enough for him to fight for legal year round jumping in NRG, and he continues to negotiate for fair treatment of jumpers.
Tandem BA$E isn't motivation to negotiate for fair treatment of BASE jumpers. Just motivation to keep BD open.

On a different note. It was awesome to finally see BASE jumpers come together for a change and unify over a topic that will have far reaching consequences for the community. It's sad that one man would tear that down for his own personal endeavours (he may have some support by I suspect it's the minority).

decompresion

Mar 23, 2015, 8:33 AM
Post #7 of 26 (11234 views)
Shortcut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_Day

Look at the last sentence
Attachments: BASE_wiki.png (213 KB)

jamer

Mar 23, 2015, 4:39 PM
Post #8 of 26 (11097 views)
Shortcut
Re: [decompresion] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wahoooo!!!!! 5 BASE jumpers are going to bridge day, that's barely enough people for a circle jerk. I can't believe how much history is going to be changed. State police have enough finger scanners for everyone to elephant walk to the exit point. Is tree going to be the pivot boy.

blitzkrieg

Mar 24, 2015, 2:03 PM
Post #9 of 26 (10868 views)
Shortcut

i'm going to neither. twin falls is lame as fuck and WV is full of hillbilly meth heads.

also, the last thing i want to do is hang around with hundreds of basedouche.com posters.

everyone has a fucking complaint, but no one has a solution. except for Tree maybe, but of course that's not good enough for anyone. (online)BASE jumpers are pathetic.

robinheid

Mar 24, 2015, 6:18 PM
Post #10 of 26 (10767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blitzkrieg] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

blitzkrieg wrote:
... (online)BASE jumpers are pathetic.

...says an... (online) BASE jumper...

Cool

TomAiello

Mar 24, 2015, 6:20 PM
Post #11 of 26 (10765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blitzkrieg] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

blitzkrieg wrote:
i'm going to neither.

This.

Lucid

Mar 24, 2015, 7:39 PM
Post #12 of 26 (10711 views)
Shortcut

You have over 1000 posts, dont worry your secret is safe with us.

blitzkrieg

Mar 25, 2015, 1:59 PM
Post #13 of 26 (10403 views)
Shortcut

Believe me, the irony is not lost on me. I'm just as pathetic. I think some people might even agree that I'm actually much more palatable in real life. It's just so easy to bitch and moan online and then promptly DO nothing. I see it all too often. Social media is a major way of interaction these days, but it gets really annoying as many do exactly as I described while the actual doers are out there almost silent from the social media. I admire them. I strive to do more and say less, but it is what it is.

Also, I think there are a lot of people that are under a false impression of what the "BASE community" actually consists of. From my perspective, I see the same as any community, albeit a smaller scale than most, but one that consists of derelicts, miscreants and those simply looking for a handout right alongside a small percentage of those doing great things.

Sorry I'm so snotty online at times, but I challenge each and every one of you to be the top 10 percenters, to give to your chosen activities, and not just to take.

Be safe.

Lucid

Mar 25, 2015, 7:58 PM
Post #14 of 26 (10292 views)
Shortcut

You're right, we already have enough glory hounds in the community. Videos are going down.

matt002

Mar 26, 2015, 2:24 AM
Post #15 of 26 (10182 views)
Shortcut

I looks like most people are 'doing something', namely a boycott.
Are you a '10 percenter?' Is trying to undermine a boycott some thing a 10 percenter does?

blitzkrieg

Mar 26, 2015, 4:49 AM
Post #16 of 26 (10155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matt002] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what you mean. If you're asking me, I've already stated I'm not going.

I have already given back to bridge day for many years working on Jason's staff, but even before the fingerprinting issues, I had stated last year would be my last.

matt002

Mar 26, 2015, 5:47 AM
Post #17 of 26 (10112 views)
Shortcut

blitzkrieg wrote:

Sorry I'm so snotty online at times, but I challenge each and every one of you to be the top 10 percenters, to give to your chosen activities, and not just to take.

Be safe.

I'm not sure what you meant by this, it sounded like a condescending lecture/social media inspirational quote of the day. If you don't want to sound snotty, you could avoid saying stuff like that.

blitzkrieg

Mar 26, 2015, 5:53 AM
Post #18 of 26 (10105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matt002] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome. Thank you.

Lucid

Mar 26, 2015, 7:13 AM
Post #19 of 26 (10049 views)
Shortcut

matt002 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Be safe.

I'm not sure what you meant by this, it sounded like a condescending lecture/social media inspirational quote of the day. If you don't want to sound snotty, you could avoid saying stuff like that.[/quote

They speak English in 'what'?"
"English, motherfucker, do you speak it?"

xnewmanx

Mar 26, 2015, 7:29 AM
Post #20 of 26 (10034 views)
Shortcut

I guess I'm a little bit confused by this, maybe I don't follow enough social media.

The events as I understand them.
1) Jumpers made a big stink over the fingerprints. This is reasonable. There were some other points of contention, but it was never presented in any sort of organized way, at least not that I saw.

2) Finger scan requirements were removed.

3) Jumpers continue to have a bad attitude towards bridge day.

I know there were other issues, but come on, I saw the "Boycott Bridge Day" FB post and the logo was a crossed out fingerprint. It's not unreasonable for the powers that be to assume that removing the fingerscan requirements will satiate us. Shit, I thought it was going to satiate "us".

I'm also confused as to why people are upset about someone having a degree of financial interest in organizing bridge day... It's a fuckin' JOB. How many people do their job for no pay? If I want to jump the NRGB I'll do it alone. If I want to set up some huge event for a hundred people I don't know, I'd hope I was going to get something out of it in return. Maybe I'm just selfish. I think it's unreasonable to think that the next BD organizer will be as selfless as Jason was in running the event with his heart, his wallet be damned. I think that he was a one-of-a-kind organizer, and any replacement will seem "inferior".

Anyway, some tabulated data about what was wrong and what has been done to correct it would be informative. All I've seen are a lot of "fuck bridge day" posts followed by a lot of "fuck tree" posts. I'm fearing we're going to collectively come across as a bunch of disorganized crybabies who are taking their ball and going home. I'm trying to remain neutral and just understand the situation.

Lucid

Mar 26, 2015, 7:35 AM
Post #21 of 26 (10025 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lucid] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

The only thing he wrote that didnt make sense was saying tree has a solution. Which he clearly doesnt, he jumped at an opportunity to exploit BASE for his personal gain. Like TandemBASE, its all about the benjamins yo.

Lucid

Mar 26, 2015, 7:43 AM
Post #22 of 26 (10017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xnewmanx] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

Im not jumping at either event now, Blitz and Tom have the right idea. I'll be in the landing area in twin shooting paintballs at peoples nuts coming in on final. I know all the hiding spots down there, so dont try to catch me!

(This post was edited by Lucid on Mar 26, 2015, 8:35 AM)

idemallie
Mar 26, 2015, 9:46 AM
Post #23 of 26 (9884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lucid] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucid wrote:
The only thing he wrote that didnt make sense was saying tree has a solution. Which he clearly doesnt, he jumped at an opportunity to exploit BASE for his personal gain. Like TandemBASE, its all about the benjamins yo.

While I'm not making an ethical evaluation on using BASE as a mechanism for making money, it's important to note that this isn't anything new. Sponsored jumpers regularly push norms of what's possible because of the money involved. You could argue this is detrimental to BASE because it causes them to take risks that they otherwise would not (though some people may see this as positive). FJCs are for profit businesses that likely increase the number of people coming into BASE. Finally, gear manufacturers regularly market products for the purpose of making money, and not always increasing safety. Again, perhaps this stuff isn't morally wrong, but it is far from out of the ordinary.

78RATS

Mar 26, 2015, 9:52 AM
Post #24 of 26 (9871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xnewmanx] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Finger scan requirements were removed.

I think this is highly questionable. They are "optional". WTF does that mean? You just say "no thank you" and take your spot on the edge?

Don't see it.

DeerBone

Mar 26, 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #25 of 26 (9863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [78RATS] Whats your BD plans after the new fingerprint news? [In reply to] Can't Post

78RATS wrote:
In reply to:
Finger scan requirements were removed.

I think this is highly questionable. They are "optional". WTF does that mean? You just say "no thank you" and take your spot on the edge?

Don't see it.

The way I read it was, your "no thank you" needs to be said early enough for a background check to be done in leu of the finger scan. I'm curious to see if the finger scan is still optional on the morning of.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media