I support finger printing. 6 / 1%
Doesnt matter, I will be there with bells on. 9 / 2%
424 total votes

epicry

Dec 4, 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #1 of 174 (27949 views)
Shortcut
Bridge Day Boycott Poll Can't Post

Self explanatory poll. Where all curious about other peoples positions on this situation.

You may choose multiple choices.

(This post was edited by epicry on Dec 5, 2014, 7:19 AM)

DeerBone

Dec 5, 2014, 6:01 AM
Post #2 of 174 (27757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [epicry] Bridge Day Boycott Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

multiple choice or click all that apply?

lyosha

Dec 5, 2014, 9:29 AM
Post #3 of 174 (27649 views)
Shortcut

If fingerprinting is mandatory I'm out.

I may go if fingerprinting is optional. Whether or not I would allow myself to be fingerprinted depends on the alternatives.

blitzkrieg

Dec 5, 2014, 9:56 AM
Post #4 of 174 (27607 views)
Shortcut

i voted the top 3, no WV, yes twin, yes support bag checks.

however, it's too late IMO. at this point, i will not go to WV for bridge day next year. they need to know they fucked up. after careful consideration, i may attend in future years.

i support bag checks, because they do that anyway and that's what makes sense. sure, i carried one rig with me in the morning without hassle as i'm a badged jumper, however, some other non jumper has carried extra rigs out for me in addition multiple years without issue. so WTF?

lyosha

Dec 5, 2014, 11:15 AM
Post #5 of 174 (27549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blitzkrieg] Bridge Day Boycott Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

My issue with bag checks is that they'll probably make you open parachute containers. I've had to hastily re-pack a parachute on an airport floor. Not a ton of fun.

Dec 5, 2014, 11:55 AM
Post #6 of 174 (27496 views)
Shortcut

If Bridge day still want jumpers, there will always be someone who is willing to organize, and there will be someone who is willing to jump.

Thats whats going to happen.

(This post was edited by 434 on Dec 5, 2014, 11:55 AM)

base428
Bridge Day Organizer
Dec 5, 2014, 12:06 PM
Post #7 of 174 (27483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [434] Bridge Day Boycott Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

Only a fool who doesn't mind losing tens of thousands of dollars would organize with a fingerprinting requirement.

434 wrote:
If Bridge day still want jumpers, there will always be someone who is willing to organize, and there will be someone who is willing to jump.

Thats whats going to happen.

blitzkrieg

Dec 5, 2014, 12:35 PM
Post #8 of 174 (27447 views)
Shortcut

What Jason said... i hope some idiot does try and organize it... it will be a disaster. an expensive disaster.

and i will forever ridicule and shun anyone who attends.Tongue

SLAMBO

Dec 5, 2014, 1:10 PM
Post #9 of 174 (27400 views)
Shortcut

Why would we have a bridge day at the Perrine when its already fully legal?

wasatchrider

Dec 5, 2014, 2:34 PM
Post #10 of 174 (27315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SLAMBO] Bridge Day Boycott Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

SLAMBO wrote:
Why would we have a bridge day at the Perrine when its already fully legal?

because they have bridgefest

GreenMachine

Dec 5, 2014, 3:26 PM
Post #11 of 174 (27272 views)
Shortcut

I hope no one tries a shit show
because I want us to be respected.

Ditto - on the shunning

epicry

Dec 5, 2014, 3:38 PM
Post #12 of 174 (27265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lyosha] Bridge Day Boycott Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

When WVSP bag checks in years past they do not open parachute containers. (I have been checked by them on six rigs) They also have a machine there on the table that detects large metal items such as pistols and a dog that I presume sniffs for bomb material. They really have no need to open containers.

base570

Dec 5, 2014, 6:45 PM
Post #13 of 174 (27174 views)
Shortcut

blitzkrieg wrote:

and i will forever ridicule and shun anyone who attends.Tongue

I might go just for this reason Laugh

andysable

Dec 6, 2014, 6:19 AM
Post #14 of 174 (27021 views)
Shortcut

C'mon stick together! Full boycott for this bullshit....

...as a beginner, I can't imagine making a first jump without the expert help I had this year. Unfortunately, I see a shit show in the works for BD next year, unless nobody goesWink

Lucid

Dec 6, 2014, 9:37 AM
Post #15 of 174 (26933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andysable] Bridge Day Boycott Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

where do i send my stool samples for BD2015?

jeb

Dec 6, 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #16 of 174 (26872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lucid] Bridge Day Boycott Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it a bit sad that the base jumpers them selves are trying to shut down the only legal event in a national park that has been going on for decades. You have to get your finger prints taken in California just to get a drivers license now (http://www.cga.ct.gov/2001/rpt/2001-R-0858.htm) and 3 weeks ago I had to give my finger prints to notarize a signature. Who cares if they get your finger prints? They can't track you with them. Do you own a cell phone? How about use a credit card? If the government wants to track you they will track you. They didn't bust the guys jumping the Freedom Tower because of finger prints.

The park service has wanted to shut bridge day down for a long time. They do not get their funding from jumpers, they get it from tax money. They would be happy to see jumping stop at the bridge, it will make their lives much easier. Why would you give them an opportunity to shut legal jumping down at one of the only legal events that everyone is welcome?

The over whelming paranoia is unsettling and if they said you could jump off El Cap for 6 hours once a year if you would just let them get your finger prints would you? I have had my finger prints taken so many times I can't even come close to counting. It has had zero impact on my life and I use to do bandit jumps all the time. The first time I had my finger prints taken was when I was 10 years old and it was because some cops said I looked suspicious :) I would be willing to bet most of you have had your finger prints taken at some point in your life already anyway.

blitzkrieg

Dec 6, 2014, 12:09 PM
Post #17 of 174 (26840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jeb] Bridge Day Boycott Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

i thought it was pretty obvious that it's not simply about giving fingerprints. the logistics of how they intend to implement it alone are a logistical nightmare.

fingerprinting in and of itself means nothing. they scan fingerprints in many countries just to go through customs.

it's a matter of principle. the WVSP are clearly overstepping constitutional boundaries and frankly, i'm pretty sick of letting this shit slide. furthermore, background checks, in the name of pre-clearing people to carry bags to an event, is completely ridiculous.

maybe i'm just a little bitter and burned out by the WV scene, but they can keep their 6 hours to themselves if that's how they want to play it.

base428
Bridge Day Organizer
Dec 6, 2014, 2:20 PM
Post #18 of 174 (26779 views)
Shortcut

Jeb,

There are many facets to our opposition to fingerprinting, well beyond the weak argument that "others already do it". It's inconvenient, it doesn't coincide logistically with our current system of handing out jumper ID badges, some feel it's invasive, we'd prefer the old system, etc. I don't think the NPS has a dog in this fight, despite what you think. I know you haven't been to Bridge Day in nearly a decade, so things have likely changed since that time.

I think you're failing to see the big picture. The WV state cops have been harassing us for years and now they want to fingerprint us. Heck, I was pretty close to being arrested by one cop a few years ago because I simply asked why a bomb-sniffing dog had to go through my personal vehicle. When the cop threatened to delay our setup on the bridge at 7AM, I told him he can go right ahead and be "the guy" who delays Bridge Day. Then another angry cop got in my face. They didn't like that I wasn't their typical submissive subject.

Bottom line is the state cops are a problem for the event. They are the "Bridge Day Bullies". And your agreement with their fingerprinting plan puts you in a very small minority.

surfers98

Dec 6, 2014, 2:53 PM
Post #19 of 174 (26733 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
They didn't bust the guys jumping the Freedom Tower because of finger prints

You're absolutely right Jeb, they busted them because of the NYC anti-BASE statute that arose from your Empire State Building bust.

goinin

Dec 6, 2014, 3:21 PM
Post #20 of 174 (26706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surfers98] Bridge Day Boycott Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh Snap!

+1

jeb

Dec 6, 2014, 4:03 PM
Post #21 of 174 (26689 views)
Shortcut

Really, they tracked them down using that did they? Interesting, I thought it was from security camera footage getting the license plate from the get away car. I guess you learn something new every day. But that is a bit off topic when it comes to shutting down a legal base event as aposed to BASE jumping in NY which has always been illegal. That law didn't exist when I tried NY and I was still convicted. They went for a felony with me too. If I had never been to NY anyone jumping from the World Trade Center would be facing a felony just like I did. After September 11th NY lost its sense of humor and will rain pain down on anyone getting caught doing high profile objects.

Having said that I will say this, I was wrong for what I did in NY and I am sorry. I would like to apologize to everyone it has negatively impacted. I was severely punished for it and I will never make that same mistake again. I was young and stupid. Now I am old and stupid but I do know it was wrong...

madprops

Dec 6, 2014, 4:09 PM
Post #22 of 174 (26682 views)
Shortcut

surfers98 wrote:
In reply to:
They didn't bust the guys jumping the Freedom Tower because of finger prints

You're absolutely right Jeb, they busted them because of the NYC anti-BASE statute that arose from your Empire State Building bust.

that was just the worst Laugh

Jeb,
I think the point is people don't give a crap about the 6 hours of bridge day. to them its not worth the fuss. the whole world is our dropzone! ill only jump through hoops if i'm not allowed Tongue

surfers98

Dec 6, 2014, 4:16 PM
Post #23 of 174 (26679 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I was wrong for what I did in NY and I am sorry. I would like to apologize to everyone it has negatively impacted. I was severely punished for it and I will never make that same mistake again.

Understood Jeb. Just giving ya a hard time. Glad you're in the conversation.

You make a good point about the ubiquity of fingerprints but I agree with Elliot - it's a principle issue.

base570

Dec 6, 2014, 5:04 PM
Post #24 of 174 (26639 views)
Shortcut

jeb wrote:
I find it a bit sad that the base jumpers them selves are trying to shut down the only legal event in a national park that has been going on for decades. You have to get your finger prints taken in California just to get a drivers license now (http://www.cga.ct.gov/2001/rpt/2001-R-0858.htm) and 3 weeks ago I had to give my finger prints to notarize a signature. Who cares if they get your finger prints? They can't track you with them. Do you own a cell phone? How about use a credit card? If the government wants to track you they will track you. They didn't bust the guys jumping the Freedom Tower because of finger prints.

The park service has wanted to shut bridge day down for a long time. They do not get their funding from jumpers, they get it from tax money. They would be happy to see jumping stop at the bridge, it will make their lives much easier. Why would you give them an opportunity to shut legal jumping down at one of the only legal events that everyone is welcome?

The over whelming paranoia is unsettling and if they said you could jump off El Cap for 6 hours once a year if you would just let them get your finger prints would you? I have had my finger prints taken so many times I can't even come close to counting. It has had zero impact on my life and I use to do bandit jumps all the time. The first time I had my finger prints taken was when I was 10 years old and it was because some cops said I looked suspicious :) I would be willing to bet most of you have had your finger prints taken at some point in your life already anyway.

Jeb, what I find sad is that you so quickly sell out your freedoms just because the government tells you to.... In addition, it's unsettling that you think the NPS is funded by tax money. Did the government tell you that too?

jeb

Dec 6, 2014, 6:08 PM
Post #25 of 174 (26578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base428] Bridge Day Boycott Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

So replace NPS with State Police. Do you really think they care if bridge day never happened again? Do you think it would make there job and life easier if we never got legal permission to jump the bridge again? Do you really believe giving fingerprints is that difficult? If boycotting bridge day gave the authorities the door they were looking for to shut the event down permanently who would that hurt most? The authorities or the base jumping community?

You are correct I haven't been to bridge day in a very long time and may never go again but that is not really the point. A lot of people in this thread have been to bridge day and are over it anyway so they don't really care if it gets shut down. But what about all the people that haven't been to bridge day yet. The countless generations of jumpers. For a lot of people it's there chance to be part of a large legal base event. I remember what a big deal it was for me the first time I got to go to bridge day and I know how important it was for literally hundreds if not thousands of other people.

Jason, I love you and the work you have been doing at bridge day. I would hate to see all the hard work you have done and the hard work of the people that came before you destroyed because of something as silly as people not wanting to get finger prints taken. Honestly I would be more annoyed with my SSN being taken than finger prints and if I remember correctly you have to give those already don't you?

It's not a weak argument to say you have to give your fingerprint already to do other things. If you have to give fingerprints to get a license or to notarize signatures it means they already have them so it's a moot point. Who cares if they have your fingerprints, it literally means nothing. But losing one of the very few legal base events that anyone can go to would be a huge blow to base jumping. It's the event that is pointed to any time a big legal event anywhere else in the world happens.

I think the worst part of all of this is Jason walking away from the event. I personally wish you would stay as the person organizing bridge day and everyone else just stop being paranoid and get a little ink on your fingers. Legal events for base jumping are few and far between and losing one like bridge day could be devastating for us. It hurts us way more then it hurts them, period...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media