No response required (Mentoring)
Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Keithor

May 20, 2013, 2:32 AM
Post #1 of 34 (26802 views)
Shortcut
No response required (Mentoring) Can't Post

I posted a response to someone about finding a mentor about a month ago. I should have started my own thread instead of using his so here it goes.

I DO NOT WANT A PM NOW. I simply want to help myself fulfil something I cannot explain. Wing suit flying and proximity flying are what I am most interested in. I read some posts by gauleyguide (not to pick on you) and realized I have a big commitment before I can look for a Mentor. I am only posting this today to prove to someone in a year or two from now that I was and am serious about this. My wife and I decided not to have kids, now I know I can start this and never have to choose...... I can't miss what I don't know, and once I start I'm sure I'll never stop.

I currently have 2 Tandem jumps scheduled for Thursday May 23. This will complete the 3 tandems I need before the AFF course. With any luck Pacha Mama will be on my side and I can complete my A license training within 2 weeks. (Im self employed so the time off shouldn't be a problem).

I think from what I have read that landing accuracy and tracking will be two of the most important things I can work on to start, so thats what I will try first. I'll respond to my own thread to let anyone who cares know how the training is going.

MBA-PATTO

May 20, 2013, 3:09 AM
Post #2 of 34 (26784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Keithor] No response required (Mentoring) [In reply to] Can't Post

The best response you need coming from everyone on here would be this response..

http://www.dropzone.com/...bin/forum/gforum.cgi

You need a couple hundred skydives first

Good luck..Cool

(This post was edited by MBA-PATTO on May 20, 2013, 3:09 AM)

StealthyB

May 20, 2013, 7:58 AM
Post #3 of 34 (26681 views)
Shortcut

There is a new book just released about someone who accomplished the same goals.
"Learning to Fly" by Steph Davis available through Amazon.
In it she documents her direct and rapid path from whuffo to skilled BASE wingsuiter,
An entertaining and insightful read, and full of invaluable information for someone starting out on a similar path.
Regards, B.

hjumper33
May 20, 2013, 5:06 PM
Post #4 of 34 (26521 views)
Shortcut

Good luck man, enjoy the skydives, they are pretty damn fun in themselves!

Keithor

Jul 27, 2013, 9:16 AM
Post #5 of 34 (25811 views)
Shortcut

Just in case anyone cares or is interested.

Finally started my first set of PFF/AFF jumps on June 20. Third exit was unstable and overall a shitty jump. Had a brutal opening and got whiplash which put the jumping on hold for almost a month. Also I failed the jump.

Went to a wind tunnel for 16 minutes which made a HUGE difference.

Started jumping again mid-July did 3 jumps in one day completed levels 3-5.

July 22 did jumps 7-10 and got my solo certificate on jump 10.

July 25 did 3 additional jumps 2 coach and 1 practice/fun.

Cant wait to keep going, too bad i have to work to pay for this sport.

base1347

Jul 27, 2013, 3:52 PM
Post #6 of 34 (25731 views)
Shortcut

I'll be honest, at first glance I wanted to reply with "who cares..."

However, I told myself not to be a dick and during this process of self discovery, just before I realized that I am a worthless asshole, (everybody else already knew it) I thought of something:

Rarely does someone record in great detail, their journey to becoming a BASE jumper, or at least not in real time. A good friend of mine, now retired from BASE at the old age of 23, began skydiving at age 14, only to get into BASE. He started jumping as a student at 14 (Germany), then got his license at 16, then all of his jumps until shortly after his 18th birthday, were all geared towards BASE. After that, he just BASE jumped like hell for 4 years, then retired. He began joining some of the most experienced trackers in the world on extremely technical exits after only a handful of BASE jumps. This year he decided (without an ounce of regret) to leave the sport, and got out totally unscathed.

Anyhow, this turned into a short story of E. the dark knight low puller, but my point is that it would be interesting (assuming you don't turn out to be a total ass which is completely likely and could also be interesting) to see everything documented in great detail (without site naming or bringing harm to the community of course) as you advance (or not) on the journey to becoming a BASE jumper.

When I read through your diary-like entries about your AFF jumps, which 99 percent of the "parachutists" in the world could give a crap about, my first thought was just that. Then I saw it in a different light and thought: "hey that might be cool to see your entire BASE quest spelled out like some kind of BASE Truman Show or something. Just don't make that your focus. and "don't be a pussy either".

Anyhow, I know there is no "response required", but here are my thoughts as I sit here and drink NyQuil and hope the pain goes away.

-cheers

TransientCW

Jul 28, 2013, 7:53 PM
Post #7 of 34 (25547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base1347] No response required (Mentoring) [In reply to] Can't Post

that was truly a magical, quaint, uplifting story.........
hope your well dude =)

base1347

Jul 28, 2013, 8:06 PM
Post #8 of 34 (25535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TransientCW] No response required (Mentoring) [In reply to] Can't Post

A "quaint" is a slightly less musty quief. "I quainted"... Haha ;-)

Keithor

Aug 17, 2013, 5:43 AM
Post #9 of 34 (25127 views)
Shortcut

Update

I've been having to travel around in order to find a Coach 2 in order to continue my progression. My "Home" DZ lost its caravan this year and there have been a tremendous number of tandems coming through the door. Sadly (and Im sure its the same in most DZ's) they make the most from tandems so we as students and or fun jumpers take a picnic table to the big spenders. Often my quest only allows me 1 or 2 jumps in a day that can be coached.

I finally however in the last two weeks took a packing course, did BOC transition, all of my RW coach jumps and had 1 fun jump that I actually had fun on. I have focused all of my jumps towards learning skills instead of having fun. I am having a little trouble relaxing and enjoying myself knowing that there is some skill I should learn to help me deal with a situation I didn't plan in freefall.

I jumped my first self pack on Thursday which added a little element of hmmm to the jump. On top of having to try a new technique of side slides I had a little bug in my ear saying "did I miss a step?" or "the coach didnt look all that hard". When I pitched I had some pretty good line twist, about 4 or 5 full twists. I managed to kick out after stopping the twisting from continuing and messing with the risers for a bit. I remained altitude aware and landed safely.

My next pack which was my last for the endorsement went well until the close. A friend noticed that I packed the d bag into the container with the stows placed so they would be against my back instead of the bottom of the container. This was probably the cause of my line twists lol but the next two jumps were packed properly and amazingly no line twists.

I am saving my 25th jump for next week after I write the A test. A little celebration for completing the A. Thankfully the majority of the tough jumps (chasing down a coach) are done and a few of us are planning a trip to a nearby DZ to get a bunch of 2 way and fun jumps in.

Starting to enjoy the journey :) Thanks Adrian

(This post was edited by Keithor on Aug 17, 2013, 5:54 AM)

samadhi

Aug 17, 2013, 8:03 AM
Post #10 of 34 (25073 views)
Shortcut

It gets a lot more fun as you become more aware and independent as a skydiver and can jump with your friends (instead of having to pay a coach to check things off a list).

You may want to check out Dropzone.com to keep a journal/blog about your skydiving fun. A lot of people are really into that on that site!

Have fun - stay safe! Shocked

PikeyBASE

Aug 17, 2013, 9:08 PM
Post #11 of 34 (24969 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
My next pack which was my last for the endorsement went well until the close. A friend noticed that I packed the d bag into the container with the stows placed so they would be against my back instead of the bottom of the container. This was probably the cause of my line twists lol but the next two jumps were packed properly and amazingly no line twists.

Negative. I pack like that all the time if it's a weird fitting Dbag. Line twists are almost always body position during deployment.

base283

Aug 17, 2013, 11:49 PM
Post #12 of 34 (24949 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PikeyBASE] No response required (Mentoring) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Line twists are almost always body position during deployment.

Unless yo PC is connected asymmetrically.
Take care,
space

base698

Aug 19, 2013, 3:09 PM
Post #13 of 34 (24704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base283] No response required (Mentoring) [In reply to] Can't Post

Or the PC has any number of manufacturing defects which cause asymmetry.

In reply to:
Negative. I pack like that all the time if it's a weird fitting Dbag. Line twists are almost always body position during deployment.

Also a cause for line twists with skydiving students is a combination of skydiving PC pack job leading to slow inflation and snatch force with the dbag stowed up to the bag. I used to watch it on AFFs I was doing and yell at the rigger about it. Any time he was the packer the students complained of line twists which I got to see happen in real time.

(This post was edited by base698 on Aug 19, 2013, 3:13 PM)

Keithor

Aug 26, 2013, 10:49 AM
Post #14 of 34 (24243 views)
Shortcut

Quick update
Received some help from a few people to get my coaching jumps in. As well as some very kind people who went way above and beyond to help me write my test late on a Friday night and do some E.P. reviews and Sport canopy briefings one evening last week.

Got my "A" on Friday night! looking forward to learning how to safely fly with others.

Keithor

Oct 29, 2013, 7:35 AM
Post #15 of 34 (22698 views)
Shortcut

Another update.

I received my B CoP on Friday. In some ways I am behind on what my plans were. (my ambitious side thought I would be planning my FJC by now). I have however learned how much I didn't know when I started this journey. Despite the fact that I "only" have 53 jumps, I would like to think that they are worth more than it appears. I made a point of all but 4 or 5 were working jumps. Every new piece of information I have received that can make me a better jumper, safer canopy pilot, or a little more prepared to deal with something I have incorporated into my training.

After getting my A I immediately found a coach to help me start the RW work that I needed to complete for my B. After having a little difficulty trying to find people to do 2 way jumps with I decided to hire a coach 2 to help me get the rest of my 2 way jumps done. I specifically focused on correcting "minor" issues with technique and accuracy landings. I figured that the more I focused on proper technique now the better off my long term skydiving career would be.

I also signed up for the PD flight 101 course and took that in early October. I had many situations where I asked coaches, instructors, etc advice on canopy control only to receive opposite answers to each other. I had another situation where I stalled my canopy on rears about 300-400' above ground which freaked me out. The canopy course was very informative and boosted my confidence in my abilities under canopy. I have since increased my accuracy 200%.

Sadly our season is coming to a close quickly both because the local DZ's are closing and the weather is taking a turn for the worse. With any luck Ill get a chance to take a trip south to jump for a week or 2. The good news is I have my B and can jump with friends wand really practice my FF skills and keep working on my canopy skills too. Cant wait for the 102 course, and the next season.

Edit: I forgot to include that I purchased my own gear. I picked up a Wings container that is good for a 170/150 Main, a PD optimum 160 Reserve, Vigil 2 and a Storm 170. I am loading it about 1.2 right now and have been losing a bit of weight. I chose the main on the advice of one of my PFF instructors and coach. He suggested this as a great WS canopy and it is also 7 cell. I took the canopy coarse with this canopy and hope to fly this for quite a while, and probably keep it for WS if I choose to go that route.

(This post was edited by Keithor on Oct 29, 2013, 7:46 AM)

nutellaontoast

Oct 29, 2013, 10:42 PM
Post #16 of 34 (22529 views)
Shortcut

What in God's name were you doing so deep in rears at such a low altitude?

Keithor

Oct 30, 2013, 6:01 AM
Post #17 of 34 (22460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nutellaontoast] No response required (Mentoring) [In reply to] Can't Post

nutellaontoast wrote:

The exact opposite of what I thought I was doing. I cant remember if I was trying to fly farther to get to the target, or if I was trying to lose altitude to get to the target.

Our DZO is a huge accuracy guy. He will often work the radio for students. He tries to get all the students into acccuracy and teaches you accuracy approaches while on the student gear. The instructors are generally pretty good about letting people know not to listen to him because one day he will hurt someone.

samadhi

Oct 30, 2013, 6:39 AM
Post #18 of 34 (22447 views)
Shortcut

Keithor wrote:
nutellaontoast wrote:

The exact opposite of what I thought I was doing. I cant remember if I was trying to fly farther to get to the target, or if I was trying to lose altitude to get to the target.

Our DZO is a huge accuracy guy. He will often work the radio for students. He tries to get all the students into acccuracy and teaches you accuracy approaches while on the student gear. The instructors are generally pretty good about letting people know not to listen to him because one day he will hurt someone.
I'd say sink it with toggles if you are going to sink it. Most skydiving canopies don't sink quite as friendly as BASE canopies though (learned this the hard/scary way much like it sounds you did haha). If you are constantly finding yourself needing to sink it in on final then your base and approach legs weren't right and you need to fix it before final. Final should be reserved for making small corrections on a skydiving canopy...if you are sinking it in always on a skydive canopy what happens one day when somebody cuts you off at 100 feet? You won't have the energy to do a flat turn to avoid them and you might collide/die.

Just my thoughts...sounds like you are thinking a lot about canopy control. Thats what I always do when skydiving too. Try some canopy relative work someday (it is much more fun with 9 cell ellipticals than with traditional CRW canopies).

Keithor

Oct 30, 2013, 7:05 AM
Post #19 of 34 (22425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [samadhi] No response required (Mentoring) [In reply to] Can't Post

samadhi wrote:
Keithor wrote:
nutellaontoast wrote:

I'd say sink it with toggles if you are going to sink it. Most skydiving canopies don't sink quite as friendly as BASE canopies though (learned this the hard/scary way much like it sounds you did haha). If you are constantly finding yourself needing to sink it in on final then your base and approach legs weren't right and you need to fix it before final. Final should be reserved for making small corrections on a skydiving canopy...if you are sinking it in always on a skydive canopy what happens one day when somebody cuts you off at 100 feet? You won't have the energy to do a flat turn to avoid them and you might collide/die.

Just my thoughts...sounds like you are thinking a lot about canopy control. Thats what I always do when skydiving too. Try some canopy relative work someday (it is much more fun with 9 cell ellipticals than with traditional CRW canopies).

Thanks Samadhi

The canopy control course helped a lot. It was REALLY basic but the instructor gave me about 10 minutes after class to draw some sketches on the board and ask questions. I had an idea of how to make a lot of corrections etc under canopy but needed some reinforcement from someone who know to feel more comfortable. Ive done a lot better with landings, accuracy and overall comfort around other canopies since.

Since I started the actual number of skydives wasnt too important to me. The skills that I will need was far more important. I figure if I cant land a canopy in a 5M square box consistently than I surely have no place in BASE. I can only imagine there are very few objects that will give me a 2 acre flat grassy landing area :p

Keithor

Apr 5, 2016, 9:55 AM
Post #20 of 34 (11748 views)
Shortcut

Just saw my last post on this thread was over 2 years ago.

I stayed away from here for a little while in part because I wasn't happy with myself for fucking up as badly as I did, and in part because I wasn't sure if my journey would or should continue. So here it goes for the latest albeit delayed update.

Spring 2014 I got back in the air with a few jumps and took a skydiving course. The weekend after the course I traveled to do some fun jumping and stop worry so much about an end goal and more to just have some fun. New DZ, new people, 20 jumps on the season and I found myself in a very shitty situation. Close to another canopy in the air, winds I probably shouldn't have jumped in and low turned to avoid some obstacles and crashed into a parking lot. End result: broken femur with some crazy new titanium, many pins inside and outside of foot and a LONG recovery ahead. Walking again was questionable let alone jumping. So needless to say the 2014 season was gone.

After about 5 months I was permitted to weight bare again on my femur and my foot, and so I went to the tunnel to at least see if the itch could be scratched. I spent a considerable amount of time tunnel flying and trying to convince myself that I could actually get to the open door of a plane again.

May 2015, 53 weeks to the day I pounded, i re-did an FJC at my local DZ with a coach I respect temendously. He insisted that I go to the radio box with him and watch some students land, and we talked quite a bit about do the survival skills jump I was going to do. He made me wait almost 6 hours after arriving to the DZ before we went for the jump. It really had me edgy waiting around, but I realized afterwards that he did it intentionally until the nerves settled enough that I could actually listen and focus with him. Jump time: Jump out, look at alti, practice handle touches, repeat.... problem was on the second set I lazily pulled the main PC by mistake in bad body position and wound up under about 7 or 8 line twists at 10,000 feet. All I could think at first was "Fuck a chop on my first jump back" I figured I had enough time and no spinning was happening so I kicked out of the line twists and practiced quite a few canopy drills. When I came down to pattern altitude I found myself in a very familiar and scary position, I was in winds I wasn't comfortable with (looking back the winds were fine I was just shitting my pants) and headed for the far side of the landing area by the taxi way. All in all the jump was fine, and I dealt with almost everything I was worried about in the first jump back.

The whole 2015 season was spent getting current and back on my gear, and just going out and enjoying the sport. I didn't worry too much about what any long term goals would, should or could be. I reached my 200th in October 2015, did some more jumps and jumped in the winter. Ill keep jumping and hope that this year along with what I've learned will keep me safe on the journey.

For anyone who is reading this that started skydiving for similar reasons, I know its hard to always hear people say enjoy the journey, its not just the 200 that matters etc. BUT not being able to bring a coffee from the kitchen to the living room for months sucks. Those months could have been fun skydiving, drinking, having sex (yeah when you bust a femur no sex boys, doctors orders), or straight up walking. Rushing usually sets you back in most things we do, an unforgiving sport like this it can be much worse.

Edited to include. I foolishly turned off my Gopro on the jump I hurt myself on so no shirt (not that it would have counted on a 170 Storm). And someone had recommended doing some CRW, Im trying to get a group together for an intro weekend and work on CRW this season (thanks for the tip).

(This post was edited by Keithor on Apr 5, 2016, 10:05 AM)

hjumper33
Apr 5, 2016, 2:00 PM
Post #21 of 34 (11636 views)
Shortcut

After a few years in the sport and a couple hundred jumps, how does it feel looking back on your first posts? At 200 skydives I realized what a dumbass I was when I started. the same happens in base, the farther you get from the start, the more you realize how little you knew when you were sure you knew everything.

Way to start doing things the right way, and good luck as you continue!

Keithor

Apr 5, 2016, 2:07 PM
Post #22 of 34 (11629 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hjumper33] No response required (Mentoring) [In reply to] Can't Post

oh man where to start.....

I look back at the days when I first had my drivers license and think "how the hell did I survive that time I.... , or when I almost....."

I honestly believe if I started jumping at 18 (thank God I got rained out that day) I would be dead. I thought when I started in 2013 I was older, was a pilot, a bit more mature, would take my time...... I still don't know how I managed to hurt myself the way I did. All I know is that its what will hopefully keep me alive as I continue. The worst part is and maybe its the most scary part. I really didn't think I was getting ahead of myself, but my attitude now is quite different than it was.

colsco

Apr 5, 2016, 2:15 PM
Post #23 of 34 (11619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hjumper33] No response required (Mentoring) [In reply to] Can't Post

hjumper33 wrote:
After a few years in the sport and a couple hundred jumps, how does it feel looking back on your first posts? At 200 skydives I realized what a dumbass I was when I started. the same happens in base, the farther you get from the start, the more you realize how little you knew when you were sure you knew everything.

Way to start doing things the right way, and good luck as you continue!

This is why time in sport is so important and can't be overlooked.

A good friend recently shared a comparison he'd made about the value of time and evolution in canopy sports and how they apply to BASE.

Why don't we let 10 year olds vote and drive? Because they lack the life experience that leads them to make informed decisions. Sure, they think they have all the answers and there may be a few who are wise beyond their years, but on the whole...when considering youngsters in volume, it's pretty much going to turn out badly for the vast majority of them.

Good parallel, if you get it.

Keithor

Apr 5, 2016, 5:04 PM
Post #24 of 34 (11544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colsco] No response required (Mentoring) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is why time in sport is so important and can't be overlooked.

A good friend recently shared a comparison he'd made about the value of time and evolution in canopy sports and how they apply to BASE.

Why don't we let 10 year olds vote and drive? Because they lack the life experience that leads them to make informed decisions. Sure, they think they have all the answers and there may be a few who are wise beyond their years, but on the whole...when considering youngsters in volume, it's pretty much going to turn out badly for the vast majority of them.

Good parallel, if you get it.
I'm primarily a weekday jumper and don't stay at a dz overnight nor do I bother showing up on shitty weather days. I absolutely understand the time in sport phrase. Jumps don't matter when you miss out on bonfire talks, and story time. Very difficult to quantify time, wisdom and jump #'s though.

hjumper33
Apr 6, 2016, 3:05 AM
Post #25 of 34 (11409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colsco] No response required (Mentoring) [In reply to] Can't Post

one analogy I liked a lot I'm pretty sure I heard from James boulle. Something about it you walk down a path through the woods or run down it, you may get to the same place, but you miss a lot along the way.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : BASE Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media