body armor
Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

UberChris

Feb 23, 2008, 3:32 AM
Post #1 of 45 (10400 views)
Shortcut
body armor Can't Post

hey. just wondering what you guys use for body armor in different situations. i was thinking that standard skateboarding elbow/kneepads would work with some shinguards. but i do not know this so lets assume you are jumping a solid object with a rocky landing area. what do you put on yourself?
thanks

B.A.S.E

Feb 23, 2008, 4:37 AM
Post #2 of 45 (10387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UberChris] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

Dainese: protection-jacket,body-shorts,long-knee-pads, Han-Wag superfly boots, sweet helmet(carbon)...good protection and low weight..i never jump without this gear...

crwper

Feb 23, 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #3 of 45 (10289 views)
Shortcut

Dainese Shuttle Pro full-body armour, Scarpa SL M3 boots, Giro Nine helmet, and a good pair of fingerless mountain biking gloves.

I've had the Shuttle Pro suit for a few years now. If I was going to replace it, I'd probably go with a separate jacket, shorts and knee/shin pads. I'm beginning to think elbow pads are less useful than the rest.

A back protector is a great thing to have, especially in a rocky landing area. It will give you the confidence to roll if you need to, which might save your ankles/legs.

Michael

johan420

Feb 23, 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #4 of 45 (10281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [crwper] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm beginning to think elbow pads are less useful than the rest
oh no...believe me ... elbow pads is NEVER useless, if i had a set of those when i had one of my cliffstrikes, my elbows would be fine now...

Jamesm

Feb 24, 2008, 2:00 AM
Post #5 of 45 (10175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johan420] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

Charley Insider helmet, Velocity back protector, Dainees Mountain Biking Knee/Shin guard (one unit not seperate), Crispi Paragliding boots.

pidge

Feb 24, 2008, 3:36 AM
Post #6 of 45 (10164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesm] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

Cookie helmet, axo knee/shin pads, swede-o ankle braces. If you need more than that maybe you should do some more preparation......

Enjoy

Jim

(This post was edited by pidge on Feb 24, 2008, 3:56 AM)

B.A.S.E

Feb 24, 2008, 5:02 AM
Post #7 of 45 (10156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pidge] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

pidge wrote:
Cookie helmet, axo knee/shin pads, swede-o ankle braces. If you need more than that maybe you should do some more preparation......

Enjoy

Jim

i like to hear you repeat these words when you bouncing into some big rocksPirate

base736

Feb 24, 2008, 8:48 PM
Post #8 of 45 (10045 views)
Shortcut

Giro Nine helmet, full Dainese jacket (forget which) and john, Scarpa mountaineering boots, fingerless gloves. Eerily like crwper's list. :) I wear the same thing on every jump. My feeling is you plan and train to avoid specific hazards, and wear armour for the "etc", which can be just as ugly from that friendly 'S' as it can from the gnarly 'B' or 'E'.

Hausse

Feb 24, 2008, 9:45 PM
Post #9 of 45 (10021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [base736] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm kind of surprised to read that so many people are wearing armor.

Haven't seen one picture yet with people wearing armor.

pidge

Feb 24, 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #10 of 45 (10009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [B.A.S.E] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

What I will probably be saying is 'I wish I had worn jacket,body-shorts, Han-Wag superfly boots and a sweet helmet like that anonymous wanker on basejumper.com wears who probably only has 20 jumps of perrine so is an expert now'Cool

crwper

Feb 24, 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #11 of 45 (9999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [johan420] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

johan420 wrote:
In reply to:
I'm beginning to think elbow pads are less useful than the rest
oh no...believe me ... elbow pads is NEVER useless, if i had a set of those when i had one of my cliffstrikes, my elbows would be fine now...

That's good to hear. I've certainly given some thought to cliff strikes, but figured my elbows are one of the things I'd be able keep out of the way. Your experience would seem to indicate otherwise. Thanks!

Michael

crwper

Feb 24, 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #12 of 45 (9997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hausse] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

Hausse wrote:
Haven't seen one picture yet with people wearing armor.

For example. Tongue

Michael
Attachments: Ankle Grab Small.jpg (103 KB)

B.A.S.E

Feb 25, 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #13 of 45 (9976 views)
Shortcut

pidge wrote:
What I will probably be saying is 'I wish I had worn jacket,body-shorts, Han-Wag superfly boots and a sweet helmet like that anonymous wanker on basejumper.com wears who probably only has 20 jumps of perrine so is an expert now'Cool

im sorry that you looked at it this way...
but for my own "record" i have 5 years 30 objects(never been in perrine) and 145 jumps...not much comparing to many of you guys, but it is what it is....but for me base isn`t about numbers..

And for the anonymous i don`t care about showing my full name her, i have never meet any of you guys anyway..i only jumps in a small circle of people and none of them are lurking on this board, i guess they are smart enough to keep away from it....Unimpressed

(This post was edited by B.A.S.E on Feb 25, 2008, 1:01 AM)

John_Scher

Feb 25, 2008, 1:24 AM
Post #14 of 45 (9953 views)
Shortcut

UberChris,

I mostly jump a 420ft cliff and always wear a Charly Insider, full Velocity armour, Kayland PG boots.

I do have an issue though. I hate wearing PG and similar boots; find them restrictive when climbing and hiking and also excessively cumbersome. I don't think they will help support my ankles at all unless I really tie them up tight which again is uncomfortable. I wonder if this is not the case with most jumpers, i.e. they wear them because that's what others do but they never tie them properly and thus never really get full ankle support.

I was wondering if it wouldn't be preferable to wear any reasonable hiking or other appropriate shoes or boots and then put on ankle braces before jumping. That's what we do with our armour so why not do the same with ankle protection?

Am I missing something?

John

(This post was edited by John_Scher on Feb 25, 2008, 2:08 AM)

Mikki_ZH

Feb 25, 2008, 2:39 AM
Post #15 of 45 (9936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

I also jump with the Kayland PG for 3 years now and I bought these boots exactly because of the reasons mentioned by you... But I think the Kayland PG boots are very light and comfortable. I did about 4 jumps with the Hanwags PG boots and had
the feeling that they pull me down... The Kaylands compared to the Hanwags is a big difference in weight and comfort but I'm sure the Kaylands give enough protection for unsoft landings.
As I do 95 of my jumps from cliffs and many times the landing area is not so good I was happy to have worn the Kayland PG boots more then one time

Zoter

Feb 25, 2008, 5:45 AM
Post #16 of 45 (9907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mikki_ZH] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
they wear them because that's what others do but they never tie them properly and thus never really get full ankle support.

Hi John...hope you are well.
I usually 'hike' in my boots ( Hanwags) with the laces undone a couple of eyelets.....gives me lots more flexability and some added comfort
I simply.....tie 'em up to the top when ready to jump ...for the benefit of ankle support/protection they offer.
I wear them for some other climbs and hikes as well and whilst you are right they are heavier/more cumbersome....the more you wear em...the more they become like slippers.
I cant climb 'technically' in them as well as other lightweight options....but on balance, for the job they are used for ( getting to an exit point and providing a degree of ankle support for jumping) they work well ( with the compromise in lacing illustrated above)

TomAiello

Feb 25, 2008, 7:56 AM
Post #17 of 45 (9855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John_Scher] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

John, have you looked at the Crispi's? The ankle support is a removable, rigid plastic insert. You can take it out while hiking, then insert it for the jump.

Feb 25, 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #18 of 45 (9797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TomAiello] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

TomAiello wrote:
John, have you looked at the Crispi's? The ankle support is a removable, rigid plastic insert. You can take it out while hiking, then insert it for the jump.

Hey Tom (or anyone else)...have any extra ankle supports laying around for Crispis? Know where to buy new ones?

sethgray

Feb 25, 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #19 of 45 (9758 views)
Shortcut

I wear as much armor as I can on any given jump, which means I wear full armor unless I'm doing a bigwall wingsuit jump. My armor set consists of:

Giro Helmet (don't remember the model, not full face)
RockGardn Flak Jacket (with shoulder plates removed)
RockGardn LandingZone Knee/Shin Guards
RockGardn FATE Gloves (with index and middle fingers cutoff just after the knuckle plates)

I used to also jump with the CYA Shorts, but I didn't feel like they were really doing much, so I stopped using them until I can find some better ass armor. As for boots, I have some hand-me-down hanwags (thanks Jaap Wink), but they don't really fit me very well, so I just use some cheapy costco adidas boots. I've been thinking about getting some of those new carbonfiber ankle inserts that 661 just came out with, but I haven't ordered them since I don't know anybody that has even seen them.

If I were to get all new armor, I think I would go with some heavier duty knee/shin guards and a VOZ brand helmet, but the Flak Jacket and FATE Gloves would still be on my list.

(This post was edited by sethgray on Feb 25, 2008, 12:35 PM)

hookitt

Feb 25, 2008, 3:51 PM
Post #20 of 45 (9714 views)
Shortcut

A good spine protector like Dainese or similar
Good elbow forearm guards
Good Knee Shin Guards
Prefer jumping in my Hanwags

I went to a motorcycle shop and picked up 12 dollar knee/shin guards ==>This model. You can find similar for only a few dollars more. They don't have upper velcro on them to hold the knee caps down so wear them under your pants or sew some on.

Picked up some elbow guards ==>This model. Also the same brand knee/shin guards are 15 bucks if the thors aren't available.

Just find something similar.

Good luck

UberChris

Feb 26, 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #21 of 45 (9636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hookitt] body armor [In reply to] Can't Post

beautiful. i dont and will not have money for dainese equipment as im more of a walmart shopper these days. i think i will be hitting up my local moto-x shop for some knee/shin guards for starters, as well as finding some jerry rigged ankle support for my hiking boots. (hanwags or crispis are $$$$) not that im gonna be jumping solid objects yet but im slowly collecting gear. thanks for everyones input

pidge

Feb 26, 2008, 2:32 AM
Post #22 of 45 (9617 views)
Shortcut

B.A.S.E wrote:

im sorry that you looked at it this way...
but for my own "record" i have 5 years 30 objects(never been in perrine) and 145 jumps...not much comparing to many of you guys, but it is what it is....but for me base isn`t about numbers..

And for the anonymous i don`t care about showing my full name her, i have never meet any of you guys anyway..i only jumps in a small circle of people and none of them are lurking on this board, i guess they are smart enough to keep away from it....Unimpressed

I just think if you are going to start giving advise you should let people know who you are so that they can decide whether or not to trust that advise for themselves. Just say you were some one who has had a cliff strike coming into land from an uneventful span jump, I could understand why you would recommend excessive body amor, but I wouldn't take it to seriously then. Some one always knows some one, who knows some one.

I avoid giving advise because, although I have lots of jumps, I havn't been jumping that long so don't feel I have the experience to do so. You could say jump numbers don't mean much to me either.

Enjoy

Jim

B.A.S.E

Feb 26, 2008, 3:25 AM
Post #23 of 45 (9602 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
You could say jump numbers don't mean much to me either
500 jumps and 111objects in 1 year...i believe you, it`s just some numbers right!?

(This post was edited by B.A.S.E on Feb 26, 2008, 3:26 AM)

pidge

Feb 26, 2008, 3:27 AM
Post #24 of 45 (9598 views)
Shortcut

Almost 2 but are you saying I did all those jumps because I like the number? You really are a wanker!Crazy

B.A.S.E

Feb 26, 2008, 3:39 AM
Post #25 of 45 (9595 views)
Shortcut

il be a wanker..that`s fine...but at your speed you probably will be dead soon,... i rather be a wanker than dead..
Gday!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : BASE Jumping : General BASE

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

D4DR Media